Music: 'En la mar' by Heather Wastie

'En la mar' by Heather Wastie

The original song, En La Mar, was introduced to me by singer friend Alison Sabedoria. Not much is known about it except that it is traditional and appears in collections of Sephardic music. I composed my own arrangement of the song and multi-tracked myself singing two lines and playing the other two on keyboard. The translation into English is my own interpretation, reflecting my personal take on the image of the woman in the tower. (Other versions describe her as 'girl' or 'daughter'.)

The image of the girl in the tower is a recurring one, like in the story of Rapunzel. The tower itself seems to represent Virtue/Honour/Chastity. The woman in my version is more mature and the tower is probably of her own making. I had in mind the sirens from Greek mythology as well as the pain and yearning associated with love. Why the sea should be made of milk is a mystery!

Comments

Popular Posts